Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Moral Direction

     It is a beautiful summer day, you are going on a camping trip for the weekend. you bring a GPS, a compass, and all the other camping necessities. So you use your GPS to go deep into the woods but the battery is completely dead now your lost, a long way from home, and no way to get back all you know is a town is to the south and you have an old compass. Sounds like a situation Bear Grylls and Les Stroud would get into but not all hope is lost cause you have your trusty compass.
     That is exactly what a compass is, trusty, they may not lead you directly to your destination but they guide you along the way to your destination. A moral compass does the same thing as a real compass in the fact that it never changes, they are both straight forward. A real compass has East, South, West, and North, on the other hand a moral compass holds what is most important in ones life. On mine I have Family, Trust, Laughter, and Patience.
     Like the rising sun always dwells in the east so does family on my compass. Everyone knows the sun rises in the east, it has always been like this just like my family will be there for me. I am the youngest of four kids, the "baby" of the family, I have lived in the same room as my two brothers since I can remember.We aren't the wealthiest family but we are rich in that we have each other. Family is there for me in the good times and the bad times, but for me family isn't just set to just my relatives. To me family is anyone who has made a memorable impact on my life. Family is the most important thing in my life and it will always be.
     I have always had this idea that people forget the South because it seems every heads North. South is on the bottom of the compass, south is the foundation of the compass and on my compass trust is the foundation. Trust is the building block in any relationship, whether those are with other people or yourself. My mother has always told me, "That in-order to be trusting of others you must trust yourself". I truly believe that we all have, at one point or another, had our trust  in someone broken or them in us. That is why I think it is so important me to be both open to trusting people and be trusting to them in turn. The worst thing in the world to me is to lose someones trust.
     The West, it is wild with cowboys and aliens, hostile with Hollywood and Vegas, and home of the classy curly mustaches of the world, all of them reside there and so does laughter on my compass. People who know me know my ridiculous laugh, it is a mix between a swimmer gasping for air and a walrus with the hiccups (if they were to hiccup). One must be able to laugh in life or else life is always dreary and sad, laughter pierces through both of these and trumps them. Buddy the elf said,"The best way to spread Christmas cheer, is singing loud for all to hear," I believe that the best way to spread any kind of cheer is to laugh.
     North, the most mentioned part of the compass it is the point, the leader, so I used an easily forgotten thing as my point, Patience. Being a camp counselor has taught me this important virtue first hand. Dealing with twenty rambunctious kids for an entire summer... well you can imagine you need to be patient. In order to be patient you must learn to listen, if you stop and listen and be patient while someone tells you a story that person will never forget that. Patience is a virtue that is overlooked because we are always rushing and never stopping to wait for things. Patience is a discipline because you have to be consistent with it in-order to be good at it.
     Moral compass, compass rose, normal Wal-Mart compass it doesn't make a difference they all have the same function, guide you from point A to B without leading you astray. It may never be the fastest or easiest journey but you will always have your compass and your bearings along the way. Let your morals lead and you will go far. 
     
      
 

5 comments:

  1. Great blog Winders! I really like how you put your points to North, South, East, and West and then even described what we associate with those directions. I also share the point of family on my moral compass and my parents have taught me so many important lessons in life just like yours have taught you. Have you ever felt like you've lost your compass in some point in your life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a really great post Winders. You put deep meaning into everything on your compass and really used great metaphors throughout the post. It's also awesome that you mentioned Bear Grylls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought your description of the west and the quote from Buddy the Elf were hilarious. You are very original in your ideas and I think this is good. You did make some grammatical errors, so you should try to fix them. Overall it was a very well written post that provided insight to your personal compass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your definition of the West being wild with cowboys and aliens made me laugh. However, you forgot that it was also wild with Will Smith. Anyway... I like how important family is to you. It's also seriously important to me. What might be something your family will do to help you make the right decisions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. winders, as i watched the raiders and bills battle it out at the EZ i've forgotten what most of your post was about, my bad. but what i do remember is that patience, family, trust, and laughter are the basic points that can help anyone make the right decision, great post

    ReplyDelete